Friday, February 19, 2010

Tropical Island

Last winter, I sought refuge from the cold, snowy weather by going to Germany’s magnificent Tropical Island. Tropical Island is an indoor beach that was created in an old hangar on the outskirts of Berlin. It has lush green gardens, restaurants, entertainment, overnight camping, large sauna area, sand, and a nice, blue skyline beach. Everyone must admit it is a great get-a-way to forget about the snow unless you are not comfortable with your body. Paradise island is not a nudist beach, but it is enjoyable to nudist, as I discovered.
On the way to the beach, I told my son that we could actually spend time in the sauna. It had been several months since we had sat in one and was looking forward to relaxing in the heat. When we arrived, the admissions clerk asked if we wanted tickets to the beach area only or the beach area and sauna. Being excited about the sauna, I declared we wanted both. We paid for our tickets and headed straight for the sauna.
As we walked around the sauna area, my son and I commented on how nice everything looked. There were plush, green plants everywhere. You could tell a great deal of attention had been given to the design of the area. Everything was very clean and the walkways were decoratively arranged; which gives credence to the saying, “You see what you want to see.”
My husband asked, “Did you see that old man?” My mistake was to ask where. He nodded in the direction he wanted us to look. It was at that moment that all the naked bodies came into view. How did we walk so far into the sauna area without noticing? Naked bodies were everywhere, kids, adults, young, old, smooth, wrinkled, firm, flabby; any type of body you wanted to see suddenly could be found. We were the only ones with suits on. But I had a simple solution we would just turn around and go back the way we came.
We reversed our tracks and started down the sidewalk. Unfortunate for us, the farther we walked the deeper into the sauna area we were, or so I thought. It seemed as if it took us forever to find our way out of the area. After that experience, I was finished, enjoying the remainder of the facility was out of the question. You could have taken me home that very moment. So, as much as I hate the snow, I haven’t found enough hatred, this winter, to take me back to Tropical Island YET.

No comments:

Post a Comment